Barman (Backup and Recovery Manager) is an open-source administration tool for remote backups and disaster recovery of PostgreSQL servers in business-critical environments. It relies on PostgreSQL’s robust and reliable Point In Time Recovery technology, allowing DBAs to remotely manage a complete catalogue of backups and the recovery phase of multiple remote servers – all from one location. Barman is distributed under GNU GPL 3 and maintained by EDB.
Looking for Barman documentation? Head over to
Key capabilities include:
- Remote backup and restore with rsync and the PostgreSQL protocol
- Support for file level incremental backups with rsync
- Retention policy support
- WAL Archive Compression with gzip, bzip2, or pigz
- Backup data verification
- Backup with RPO=0 using a synchronous physical streaming replication connection
- Rate limiting
- Tested with custom WAL sizes
For more about Barman’s features and goals, see
Could this page could be better? or !